Ian McCarthy here, one of two English dudes planning to ride around Australia on motorbikes. My fellow rider Duncan, and I will introduce ourselves more in a later post, but for now a brief overview of the plan.
Yesterday afternoon was our first planning session, so after a few months of casual chat we have committed to making the big trip a reality. With a large map of Australia spread out on the dining table, coloured post-it notes to mark out the route, cold beers and pizzas on their way we came up with the following:
- Trip dates - July & August 2012 (Australian winter / dry season)
- Trip duration of 8 weeks
- Trip distance of approx. 16,000 kms (10,000 miles)
- Basic route will start in Sydney and continue anti-clockwise around the coast
- %Dirt - we've not decided on the detailed route yet, but dirt will definitely feature
- Days riding per week - 5 or 6 at around 350 kms per day (230 miles ).
- Camping - there will be some unfortunately, but I may learn to enjoy it!
I'll be riding my BMW R1200GS - Triple Black (2011)
& Duncan his Suzuki DL650 - VStrom.
That's it for this post, more to follow soon.
Hello Ian...or should I say, Charlie?
ReplyDeleteYes, it was a great planning session with the massive map of Australia spread out across your dining room table. It certainly gave us a sense of how big this ride is going to be!
I can't wait to get on with all the planning. This will be half of the fun :-)